Moms, I know how easy it is to pull into a big box retailer and fill up that cart with everything in one go. Or the convenience of shopping online with a few simple commands on your phone. Easy peasy. Done.
Less obvious are the benefits of shopping in town from our local small shops. There are, believe it or not, true benefits of shopping local and those are in addition to the joy of knowing you are contributing to your community. This Saturday, November 26th, you’ll have the chance to experience some of this with Shop Small Saturday right in our town.
According to the US Small Business Association, Small Business Saturday is “a day to celebrate and support small businesses and all they do for the communities.” Marshalltown Chamber is partnering with local businesses for the fifth year in a year to encourage shoppers to shop local this Saturday, November 26th. The Chamber site lists the participating members as: Art & Frame on Main, The Chalet, Haley’s Deli BBQ & Catering, Hellberg’s Jewelers, Pentz Appliance & TV, Sports Page, Taylor’s Maid Rite, Thompson True Value, Tremont Grille, and Willards Furs & Fashions.
The Top Reasons to Shop Small Saturday in Marshalltown
- It strengthens the local economy. It probably goes without saying that shopping local helps keep money in our community. When you buy local you are contributing money to store owners who are way more likely to reinvest that revenue back in the community than the big box chains, thus continuing to enrich our town.
- It helps make Marshalltown home. The benefits of getting out and being together with our neighbors cannot be overstated. In this day and age we are all tied to our devices and a lot more likely to “socialize” online than in person. Shopping in our community allows us to walk the streets of our town, see our fellow community members, get to know the shopkeepers, and overall contribute to our sense of “belonging” in our community.
- It helps support Marshalltown’s distinctive character. Richard Moe, President of the National Historic Preservation Trust said, “When people go on vacation they generally seek out destinations that offer them the sense of being someplace, not just anyplace.” Stores like ours can’t be found in every town in Iowa. They are part of what makes our town unique and we should take pride in that uniqueness by supporting it with our shopping dollars.
- It’s good for the environment. Shopping local means we’re using less gas to get to and from the stores and, in many cases, when products are made in town then less gas has to be used to ship product to and from the stores.
- You’re likely to experience better service. Local shop owners share your sense of ownership in the community. They are invested in making Marshalltown a success and therefore are more likely to take time to get to know you and how to help you get what you’re looking for.
So remember this Saturday to support our Marshalltown shop owners by Shopping Small.