If you’ve been with us for awhile you may remember my story about my tough transition to motherhood, a simple invitation to MUGGS, and the encouragement I received from this welcoming group of moms. When I recognized the importance of a network of moms and the impact that support system had on my experience as a mom, I wanted to offer that to all moms in the Marshalltown community. Marshalltown Moms was born! MUGGS, it’s no wonder, then, holds a special place in my heart. It’s where my love story with Marshalltown really began.
Let me share with you the top reasons MUGGS rocks:
- It’s a great group of friendly women from all over Marshalltown and the surrounding areas.
- Enjoy inspirational and fun insight in a low-stress, low-key environment. I can’t remember one MUGGS session where I didn’t get at least one nugget of something to help me in my mothering. Sometimes it was a profound “AHA” moment and sometimes it was something small that hit me days later. Even those sessions that I was pacing and rocking my fussy baby in the back row I enjoyed being there in the presence of other moms who have “been there”.
- There is FREE childcare! Two child-free hours + thoughtful adult conversation = bliss
- A yummy breakfast and warm coffee is provided – Moms sign up for a morning to bring an egg bake or another item to the breakfast so most of the sessions you just bring yourself and enjoy a warm meal that you didn’t have to make!
MUGGS is starting it’s Spring session this upcoming Friday, January 12th, and I thought it was the perfect time to share a little bit more with you about the group. While it is primarily in the mornings there is a Facebook group you can join to still be part of the conversation and this year they are planning some evening and mom’s night out events. Here is the 2018 Spring schedule and my Q&A with Jenn Pedersen, one of the fearless leaders of the group.
1. What is MUGGS and how does it work?
MUGGS, which stands for Mothers Under God’s Grace & Strength, is a interdenominational Christian moms group which seeks to encourage moms in the important role of motherhood. MUGGS meets on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month throughout the school year from 9:15-11:15 am at New Hope Christian Church. Each meeting begins with a time of breakfast together followed by a “lesson” time covering a variety of topics relating to motherhood. Childcare is provided for the moms who attend. MUGGS also has occasional social gatherings such as moms’ nights out.
2. How did MUGGS begin?
MUGGS began when a group of young moms from our community were attending a women’s conference together about 12 years ago and jointly expressed a desire to have a mom’s group in our community. That group of young moms joined together to start MUGGS.
3. Why is MUGGS important in the Marshalltown community?
MUGGS offers moms in our community an opportunity to connect with other moms and receive support and encouragement from one another.
4. Who is welcome? Who might enjoy MUGGS?
Moms of any age and stage are welcome to join MUGGS. Anyone who is looking to connect and be encouraged in their role as a mom would enjoy MUGGS.
5. Name three words to describe MUGGS.
Supportive, Encouraging, Fun
Please contact Jenn Pedersen (641-751-1464 or email@example.com) for more info. The MUGGS Facebook group is another great place to get more info about our group – you can find it HERE