I didn’t grow up bowling so I never really got into it in the same way some of my friends did. If I’m honest with you, my score still never tops 80 unless I bowl with bumpers, you know, like at a kid’s birthday party… ::cough cough::.
So, when I heard about this program the value and the benefits of this program registered immediately with me. Did you know that kids can bowl 2 games everyday in the summer FOR FREE?!?! This is a value of over $500 per child!
There are many benefits of bowling for kids:
- It keeps kids moving in the hot summer months.
- It encourages family time.
- It strengthens their muscles and tendons.
- It improves hand-eye coordination.
- It teaches valuable life skills like patience while waiting for their turn or waiting for their ball to return.
- It teaches them how to win and how to lose.
- It improves social skills and gives more quiet/shy children a low-pressure opportunity to visit as much or as little as they wish.
The program is called Kids Bowl Free. On top of being wonderful for kids, it’s a great value because IT’S FREE! From the Kids Bowl Free website: “This program is designed by bowling centers to give back to the community and provide a safe, secure, and fun way for kids to spend time this summer.”
We are happy to share that Totem Bowl in Marshalltown is participating. How cool is that?! Children 14 and under may register for 2 free games all day, from April 1 to October 31.
In order to participate you must register your child. HERE is Totem Bowl’s registration page. The hours available are:
MONDAY – Not Available
TUESDAY – 10:00am — 8:00pm
WEDNESDAY – 10:00am — 8:00pm
THURSDAY – 10:00am — 8:00pm
FRIDAY – 10:00am — 8:00pm
SATURDAY – 10:00am — 8:00pm
SUNDAY – Not Available
Kids must bowl in bowling shoes so they will need to pay a rental fee for the shoes or bring their own. Or, according to the website, there is free shoe rental all summer if you purchase a Family Pass for just $28.95 which covers up to 4 people for the entire summer.